GameTZ

Sign OnNon-Mobile

Full-scale console gaming coming to iPhone 15 Pro
12-Sep-23 9:06pm
#1
Staraang
Triple Gold Good Trader

I know a lot of people dog Apple's events but this one reveal definitely caught my eye. There's going to be native support for games like Assassin's Creed Mirage, RE4, RE Village, Death Stranding, and more. This feels like a big deal. All of a sudden we can play console games on a phone? Awesome!

https://www.videogam...
12-Sep-23 9:48pm
#2
MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review

Maybe a generational thing but I'd never want to play any of those on a phone.
12-Sep-23 9:54pm
#3
benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews

The problem with phone gaming is unless it was designed for touch screen you really need a controller. And some kind of mount to attach the controller to the phone.

Unless you're going to set the phone on a table or desk and use the controller to play that way. But what else fits on a table or desk and is good for playing games? A TV or a monitor!

Either way, there goes big portability aspect unless you want to lug your controller around with you too.

Maybe it would be useful if you traveled a lot and wanted to play on the plane or something. And you didn't bring your switch or steam deck for some reason.

Apple makes good products but they are among the last companies I would think of when it comes to gaming.

12-Sep-23 10:35pm
#4
Staraang
Triple Gold Good Trader

benstylus wrote:
The problem with phone gaming is unless it was designed for touch screen you really need a controller. And some kind of mount to attach the controller to the phone. Unless you're going to set the phone on a table or desk and use the controller to play that way. But what else fits on a table or desk and is good for playing games? A TV or a monitor! Either way, there goes big portability aspect unless you want to lug your controller around with you too. Maybe it would be useful if you traveled a lot and wanted to play on the plane or something. And you didn't bring your switch or steam deck for some reason. Apple makes good products but they are among the last companies I would think of when it comes to gaming.
I’m thinking of a Backbone or Kishi to play these games. People lug around a Switch and Steam Deck on top of their phone. Now you’d only have to take the controller with you. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Apple or an authorized third party released an official controller.

The headline here really is that a mobile chip is able to run AAA games natively. That’s unprecedented and is potentially a big deal in the years to come.
12-Sep-23 10:35pm
#5
Slickriven
GameTZ Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review

Touch controls, even if done well are horrible for me, thanks to 'thumb drift'. Where my thumbs won't come up off of the section of screen and then go back down in the correct spots. So I eventually generally stop activating the virtual left directional stick and either click the wrong on screen buttons, or miss them entirely. So personally I would just have to use a controller.
Also, no thanks on Apple's closed platform.

12-Sep-23 10:52pm
#6
MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review

iPhone 15 summary: https://www.tiktok.c...
13-Sep-23 12:20am
#7
EclipseLion
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

Y'all are gonna need glasses/contacts, and be getting prescribed stronger prescriptions buying all these AAA titles on a small albeit great looking screen

13-Sep-23 12:22am
#8
EclipseLion
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

MrBean wrote:
iPhone 15 summary: https://www.tiktok.c...
They made a point of saying the new iPhones will cost the same as last year

13-Sep-23 6:47am
#9
benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews

Staraang wrote:
I’m thinking of a Backbone or Kishi to play these games. People lug around a Switch and Steam Deck on top of their phone. Now you’d only have to take the controller with you. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Apple or an authorized third party released an official controller. The headline here really is that a mobile chip is able to run AAA games natively. That’s unprecedented and is potentially a big deal in the years to come.
Unless Apple is going to throw a whole lot of money at publishers, I don't know how many are going to want to take the time and effort to port AAA titles to IOS.

Partly because of the controller thing (virtual buttons on the touch screen are terrible and your hands obscure parts of the screen, separate controller is a potential alternative but may be cumbersome).

Also partly because storage. The top end model will have 512 GB, the base model only 128 (significantly less after the OS and pre-installed apps). RE4 Remake was 67GB. Death Stranding was 55GB.
And with all the other stuff people put on their phones, that's going to become a big issue real fast.

Also partly because pricing. Are people really going to pay $70 for a game in the app store to play on their phone? Does the app store have regular sales like Steam? Heck at least with steam you can play it in the big screen via your computer or the small screen via the Steam Deck. Is there any flexibility in the Apple model or is it phone screen or bust?

13-Sep-23 9:57am
#10
Staraang
Triple Gold Good Trader

benstylus wrote:
Staraang wrote:> I’m thinking of a Backbone or Kishi to play these games. People lug around a Switch> and Steam Deck on top of their phone. Now you’d only have to take the controller> with you. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Apple or an authorized third party released> an official controller.> > The headline here really is that a mobile chip is able to run AAA games natively.> That’s unprecedented and is potentially a big deal in the years to come. Unless Apple is going to throw a whole lot of money at publishers, I don't know how many are going to want to take the time and effort to port AAA titles to IOS. Partly because of the controller thing (virtual buttons on the touch screen are terrible and your hands obscure parts of the screen, separate controller is a potential alternative but may be cumbersome). Also partly because storage. The top end model will have 512 GB, the base model only 128 (significantly less after the OS and pre-installed apps). RE4 Remake was 67GB. Death Stranding was 55GB. And with all the other stuff people put on their phones, that's going to become a big issue real fast. Also partly because pricing. Are people really going to pay $70 for a game in the app store to play on their phone? Does the app store have regular sales like Steam? Heck at least with steam you can play it in the big screen via your computer or the small screen via the Steam Deck. Is there any flexibility in the Apple model or is it phone screen or bust?
Obviously just my opinion but I think publishers will in fact be porting games over in greater numbers. Apple has a huge user base which would be attractive to any developer especially if it exposes their products to a new audience. Developers are attracted to Apple’s huge user base. I don’t think it’ll be overnight. But two or three years from now I could see console-level gaming having a significantly greater presence on iPhone. One of the advantages that Apple has is designing more advanced chips every year which means their devices become increasingly capable of handling the demands of these games. Console manufacturers update their hardware only once every several years.

Storage has been upped to a max of 1 TB. Granted I think in practical terms storage could pose an issue since it’s not dedicated for games like on consoles.

I think the screen size is not as big of a deal as people are making it. People are associating “phone screen” with being tiny. When in fact many portable devices have comparable screens. Take our examples of the Switch (6.2 in) and the Steam Deck (7 in). Is this really so far off the iPhone 15 Pro (6.1 in) and iPhone 15 Pro Max (6.7 in)? Not to mention people have played on far smaller portable console screens for ages.

App Store does have sales. Nothing to stop Apple from adopting a model similar to Steam. Games actually make up a huge part of App Store revenue but I’ve never really cared much since it’s all mobile games which I don’t care that much about. But if they’re going to bring console games on there I know I’d be interested.

Don’t get me wrong, Apple isn’t disrupting gaming today. But achieving this level of gaming with a mobile chip is not a small feat.
13-Sep-23 10:19am
#11
lordkaosu
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (8)

I'm hoping more games come down the road.

Most of the concerns don't seem like issues. The screen isn't that far off in size from other portable options, carrying a controller isn't any more of an issue than packing a portable console. Only concern could be the storage and upgrade cost to factor in. I didn't see much on how the quality will compare either to Steam Deck or Switch but if you're on portable, that may not be your highest priority anyway.

13-Sep-23 10:36am
#12
Staraang
Triple Gold Good Trader

lordkaosu wrote:
I'm hoping more games come down the road. Most of the concerns don't seem like issues. The screen isn't that far off in size from other portable options, carrying a controller isn't any more of an issue than packing a portable console. Only concern could be the storage and upgrade cost to factor in. I didn't see much on how the quality will compare either to Steam Deck or Switch but if you're on portable, that may not be your highest priority anyway.
Agree with all of that. Someone brought up a point to me about cooling as well as battery power. Looking at the stats the iPhone 15 Pro has a battery capacity about 10-15% less than a Switch with the Pro Max having about 10-15% more than Switch. I would be curious to know how much power draw there is with playing these games though. If your Switch dies on you it's no big deal but having your phone die while being out is a big inconvenience.

As exciting as this capability is I'm more interested in how Apple's gaming strategy unfolds over the next 2-3 years. Becoming a serious gaming competitor to MS, Sony, and Nintendo would be a great shakeup to the industry. Those three have run the show for the last 25 years. I'm hoping it'll result in more interesting and creative gaming.
13-Sep-23 11:32am
#13
benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews

Staraang wrote:
As exciting as this capability is I'm more interested in how Apple's gaming strategy unfolds over the next 2-3 years. Becoming a serious gaming competitor to MS, Sony, and Nintendo would be a great shakeup to the industry. Those three have run the show for the last 25 years.
Sega (am I dead to you?)

I'm hoping it'll result in more interesting and creative gaming.
In what ways? AAA games are hardly innovating, and if they are going to be cross platform with PC and consoles, developers aren't going to want to make meaningful differences in how the games play.

IOS and Android gaming innovations include:

1 - High quality board game ports
2 - Location based gaming (like Pokemon Go)
3 - Making aggressive free-to-play models mainstream (though the model had been in existence on some MMO's, it wasn't as punishing until it exploded on mobile)

That's really all I can think of...

Mainstream touchscreen gaming? DS predates iPhone by a few years.
Mainstream motion control? Nintendo says hi again with Wii predating iPhone by about a year.


13-Sep-23 11:47am
#14
Staraang
Triple Gold Good Trader

benstylus wrote:
Staraang wrote:> As exciting as this capability is I'm more interested in how Apple's gaming strategy> unfolds over the next 2-3 years. Becoming a serious gaming competitor to MS, Sony,> and Nintendo would be a great shakeup to the industry. Those three have run the show> for the last 25 years. Sega (am I dead to you?)
Are you referring to Dreamcast? I dunno, I love DC but do you really think it was a serious competitor? To clarify I'm talking console hardware development here.

> I'm hoping it'll result in more interesting and creative gaming. In what ways? AAA games are hardly innovating, and if they are going to be cross platform with PC and consoles, developers aren't going to want to make meaningful differences in how the games play. IOS and Android gaming innovations include: 1 - High quality board game ports 2 - Location based gaming (like Pokemon Go) 3 - Making aggressive free-to-play models mainstream (though the model had been in existence on some MMO's, it wasn't as punishing until it exploded on mobile) That's really all I can think of... Mainstream touchscreen gaming? DS predates iPhone by a few years. Mainstream motion control? Nintendo says hi again with Wii predating iPhone by about a year.
I'm not really sure in what specific ways, TBH. I'll also concede that it may not amount to much of anything in terms of innovation but it couldn't hurt, right? My post was meant more to refer to competition hardly being a bad thing and could lead to better products for consumers. Perhaps Apple entering the fray will push everyone else to do better.
13-Sep-23 11:56am
#15
benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews

Staraang wrote:
benstylus wrote:> Staraang wrote: |>> As exciting as this capability is I'm more interested in how Apple's gaming strategy |>> unfolds over the next 2-3 years. Becoming a serious gaming competitor to MS, Sony, |>> and Nintendo would be a great shakeup to the industry. Those three have run the> show |>> for the last 25 years. > > Sega (am I dead to you?) Are you referring to Dreamcast? I dunno, I love DC but do you really think it was a serious competitor? To clarify I'm talking console hardware development here.
This is the part where I feel old because 25 years doesn't really include the Saturn or the Genesis.

But as far as arcades go, Sega was still riding high at that point. And with the Naomi and Dreamcast sharing very similar hardware, I think it would still be correct to say the DC was influential and innovative even if it ended up curbstomped by PS2.

Innovations:
1 - practically arcade perfect Naomi (and other) ports
2 - VMU screen (hardly used in practice, but worked well in multiplayer games where you wanted hidden info)
3 - Online gaming on consoles
4 - VGA Output!
5 - um... the cord comes out the bottom of the controller instead of the top! IT'S REVOLUTIONARY


13-Sep-23 1:32pm
#16
Staraang
Triple Gold Good Trader

benstylus wrote:
Staraang wrote:> benstylus wrote: |>> Staraang wrote:> |>> As exciting as this capability is I'm more interested in how Apple's gaming strategy> |>> unfolds over the next 2-3 years. Becoming a serious gaming competitor to MS,> Sony,> |>> and Nintendo would be a great shakeup to the industry. Those three have run the |>> show> |>> for the last 25 years. |>> |>> Sega (am I dead to you?)> > Are you referring to Dreamcast? I dunno, I love DC but do you really think it was> a serious competitor? To clarify I'm talking console hardware development here. This is the part where I feel old because 25 years doesn't really include the Saturn or the Genesis. But as far as arcades go, Sega was still riding high at that point. And with the Naomi and Dreamcast sharing very similar hardware, I think it would still be correct to say the DC was influential and innovative even if it ended up curbstomped by PS2. Innovations: 1 - practically arcade perfect Naomi (and other) ports 2 - VMU screen (hardly used in practice, but worked well in multiplayer games where you wanted hidden info) 3 - Online gaming on consoles 4 - VGA Output! 5 - um... the cord comes out the bottom of the controller instead of the top! IT'S REVOLUTIONARY
No doubt it was a great system. One of my favorites.
13-Sep-23 1:43pm
#17
benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews

More games have been released for Dreamcast in the past 5 years than for PS2, GameCube, and OG Xbox combined.

13-Sep-23 2:27pm
#18
Renaissance2K
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews

Few things are more annoying to me when gaming than
- Touch controls on a game that clearly wasn't built for them
- Having low phone battery because I was playing games
- Sticking a device hotter than the surface of the sun into my pocket because I was playing games
- Getting a phone call while I'm in the middle of a phone game

Apple has been pushing mobile AAA titles since the very beginning when they compared the iPhone 2(?) to the Dreamcast in terms of horsepower. The hardware has almost always been capable of AAA titles, but casual gamers don't want to pay full price for the games, and hardcore gamers probably already have a device capable of playing them better.

The "always on you, super portable" form factor doesn't apply if you need to lug around a Backbone or a controller + mount with you.

13-Sep-23 2:50pm
#19
Staraang
Triple Gold Good Trader

Renaissance2K wrote:
Few things are more annoying to me when gaming than - Touch controls on a game that clearly wasn't built for them - Having low phone battery because I was playing games - Sticking a device hotter than the surface of the sun into my pocket because I was playing games - Getting a phone call while I'm in the middle of a phone game
All valid points. I don't care for touch controls either. I do wonder how hot the phone will get. Apple has been prioritizing making their chips not draw too much power though of course playing a AAA game would pose a challenge.

Apple has been pushing mobile AAA titles since the very beginning when they compared the iPhone 2(?) to the Dreamcast in terms of horsepower. The hardware has almost always been capable of AAA titles, but casual gamers don't want to pay full price for the games, and hardcore gamers probably already have a device capable of playing them better.
That's a very good point. What if it was cheaper though? As in splitting the difference. You keep selling full price to hardcore gamers and then sell for a cheaper price to draw casual gamers.

The "always on you, super portable" form factor doesn't apply if you need to lug around a Backbone or a controller + mount with you.
I don't see this as that big a deal. It's still less hardware to carry than a Switch. People happily carry a Switch plus a phone. If I was serious about portable gaming on a phone I'd probably get a slim power bank as well.


13-Sep-23 3:34pm
#20
lordkaosu
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (8)

iPhone 2: Powerful enough to play your DC games but PH balanced for Angry Birds.

13-Sep-23 9:52pm
#21
Anxiouz
GameTZ Subscriber 900 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader

I cracked jokes like this twitter post about the new iphone, and then asked if they finally improved call quality and not just bettering the camera. (TL;DR = no).

But a co-worker showed me some open-world RPG they are playing on a year or two old iphone and it frankly looked incredible! I can't imagine myself playing a game like that on a touchscreen, with that small of a screen, but it was really impressive.

But I don't want to play games on my ipad either, and the Switch Lite screen is about as small as I can handle due to the use of some tiny fonts in some games (I complain about that too, don't worry).

AR was the big thing Apple pushed a few iPhones ago and nobody really cared. I think the new phone will be capable of cool things but do you really want to spend $60 for RE4 remake in the apple store vs grabbing it for PS5/XSX instead and likely having it be in your console library moving forward?

Full-scale console gaming coming to iPhone 15 Pro