GameTZ

Sign OnNon-Mobile

Post your scores/reviews on recent titles you've obtained/been playing. :-P
7-Dec-03 9:25am
#1
Guru
Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 16 Reviews

This topic had many older posts which were moved here:

http://gametz.com/Vi...






26-Mar-19 10:04am
#2
BucketofJustice
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 6 Reviews

Started the Last Guardian last night. So far... I don't like it. I'll give it another shot probably tonight but it's not grabbing me yet.
26-Mar-19 10:24am
#3
Guru
Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 16 Reviews

Last Guardian doesn't get better. I tried giving it 4-5 hours before calling it quits... frustrating controls, bad camera, and commanding bird dog isn't fun
26-Mar-19 10:36am
#4
Heavyd814life
GameTZ Subscriber 600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) This user is on the site NOW (16 seconds ago) Secret Santa

The Last Guardian didn't grab me initially either. It took me 2-3 tries to get into it. The controls and the camera aren't very good at all and some of the puzzles are needlessly obtuse. I definitely had a love/hate relationship with the game, but I'm glad I stuck with it because the journey ends up being really, really special and Trico is pretty freaking amazing!

26-Mar-19 10:41am
#5
BJB
350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

I enjoyed Last Guardian. I wouldn't say I loved it but it held my attention long enough for me to finish it. I definitely really enjoyed the last few hours especially though.

26-Mar-19 10:50am
#6
TalonJedi87
Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews

The Last Guardian was okay. The only part that annoyed me was when Trico wouldn't listen for the life of me, but I guess that was part of the overall core game.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - albeit getting my ass handed to me by the mini-bosses over and over and over again, this game is a damn fine 9/10 so far. Loving it. HURT ME MORE SNAKE!!!
26-Mar-19 11:18am
#7
Heavyd814life
GameTZ Subscriber 600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) This user is on the site NOW (16 seconds ago) Secret Santa

I'll finally have some time today to finish up The Caligula Effect and hopefully jump into Sekiro. Bring on the pain!

26-Mar-19 12:12pm
#8
tonymack21
GameTZ Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 3 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (2 minutes ago) Secret Santa

@Heavyd814life where are you at on hours for CE, im having a really hard time getting motivated as there is so much I want to play right now. how much time in did you find it picked up enough you really got into it.

26-Mar-19 2:29pm
#9
Heavyd814life
GameTZ Subscriber 600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) This user is on the site NOW (16 seconds ago) Secret Santa

tonymack21 wrote:
@Heavyd814life where are you at on hours for CE, im having a really hard time getting motivated as there is so much I want to play right now. how much time in did you find it picked up enough you really got into it.
20 hours maybe. It honestly felt like there was so much wasted potential up until that point which just made me so angry. But then the story begins to come together and you get to know your party members better. That's also the point when I realized that combat is tied to the affinity meter so you need to fight alongside every party member if you want to raise your affinity and unlock each level of their social link. And since I really like the characters and want to max their social links, combat feels like less of a chore. The game does a poor job of explaining all of this to you and it's just one of many areas where the game is a bit of a mess. I don't know if you'll grow to like the story and your party members as much as I have so it's tough to really recommend sticking with it. There are definitely much better games out there to spend your time with.

26-Mar-19 4:36pm
#10
Guru
Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 16 Reviews

I beat SteamWorld Dig 2 today. I'd give it an 8/10, but sooooo short :(
26-Mar-19 4:39pm
#11
tonymack21
GameTZ Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 3 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (2 minutes ago) Secret Santa

Heavyd814life wrote:
tonymack21 wrote:> @Heavyd814life where are you at on hours for CE, im having a really hard time getting> motivated as there is so much I want to play right now. how much time in did you> find it picked up enough you really got into it. > > 20 hours maybe. It honestly felt like there was so much wasted potential up until that point which just made me so angry. But then the story begins to come together and you get to know your party members better. That's also the point when I realized that combat is tied to the affinity meter so you need to fight alongside every party member if you want to raise your affinity and unlock each level of their social link. And since I really like the characters and want to max their social links, combat feels like less of a chore. The game does a poor job of explaining all of this to you and it's just one of many areas where the game is a bit of a mess. I don't know if you'll grow to like the story and your party members as much as I have so it's tough to really recommend sticking with it. There are definitely much better games out there to spend your time with.
ok I'll hang in there for awhile then, im nowhere near 20. sounds like its going to fill out some here in a bit. I think if I hadn't played Tokyo Xanadu first its shortcomings wouldn't be so glaring.


26-Mar-19 7:19pm
#12
Heavyd814life
GameTZ Subscriber 600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) This user is on the site NOW (16 seconds ago) Secret Santa

tonymack21 wrote:
Heavyd814life wrote:> tonymack21 wrote: |>> @Heavyd814life where are you at on hours for CE, im having a really hard time> getting |>> motivated as there is so much I want to play right now. how much time in did> you |>> find it picked up enough you really got into it. |>> |>> > > 20 hours maybe. It honestly felt like there was so much wasted potential up until> that point which just made me so angry. But then the story begins to come together> and you get to know your party members better. That's also the point when I realized> that combat is tied to the affinity meter so you need to fight alongside every party> member if you want to raise your affinity and unlock each level of their social link.> And since I really like the characters and want to max their social links, combat> feels like less of a chore. The game does a poor job of explaining all of this to> you and it's just one of many areas where the game is a bit of a mess. I don't know> if you'll grow to like the story and your party members as much as I have so it's> tough to really recommend sticking with it. There are definitely much better games> out there to spend your time with. > > ok I'll hang in there for awhile then, im nowhere near 20. sounds like its going to fill out some here in a bit. I think if I hadn't played Tokyo Xanadu first its shortcomings wouldn't be so glaring.
Just beat it. And I'm sad because the game completely fizzles out at the end. The devs had good ideas but the execution is just really, really poor. So much to say, but I want to wait til you've beaten it. I'm not even going to write a review because it's just going to be long ass rant lol. And I just watched some footage on Youtube and the game looks soo much better on the PS4 vs the Switch. I usually don't care about graphics at all, but I'm kinda kicking myself for not going PS4 on this one. Going to jump into Sekiro later tonight. I need something top tier to wash the taste of mediocrity out of my mouth.

26-Mar-19 8:35pm
#13
tonymack21
GameTZ Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 3 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (2 minutes ago) Secret Santa

I'm not usually that into souls but sekiro does look pretty interesting. Maybe because it does have character and is a little more narrative focused.

After an rpg break maybe you can get Tokyo Xanadu eX+ in..that will make you forget about CE as well. If the midgame is going to get more solid I think I'll be ok pushing forward, ending fizzle is sad but you play enough RPGs and you get a little used to it in less than top tier stuff.. closing seems to be many rpgs problem.

27-Mar-19 11:58am
#14
Heavyd814life
GameTZ Subscriber 600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) This user is on the site NOW (16 seconds ago) Secret Santa

Honestly, even the top-tier JRPGs have an issue ending things properly. Someone needs to tell these devs to stop padding out the length of their final dungeons. Thankfully I was at a high enough level at the end of Caligula where I could just run past enemies in the final dungeon without aggroing them. And even with all the battles I avoided, the dungeon just seemed like a never-ending maze with a bunch of backtracking. Just really bad design.

Tokyo Xanadu is definitely on my shortlist of games to play after Sekiro. I'm kinda interested in picking up Days Gone next month, but I'm still on the fence about that game so I might just wait for a price drop and play Yakuza 6, RDR2, or Tokyo Xanadu instead.

On the Soulsborne games...I think I passed on everything pre Bloodborne for the same reasons. I just didn't think I'd enjoy something without a focused narrative, but I was so wrong. Bloodborne was legit like a religious experience for me. It's the game I didn't know I needed in my life and I spent hours pouring over the lore once I beat it trying to make sense of it all. I know for a fact you'll dig that part of it. I can't think of a single game with more compelling lore. It's just whether or not you're willing to put in the time needed to "git gud". It was a complete shock to the system for me initially because I must have died 50+ times the first night I played the game, but you learn the game's systems and you figure out what works and what doesn't. The sense of accomplishment when you finally overcome an obstacle is indescribable! Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to play Sekiro last night, but tonight is the night for sure. I just hope it can recapture some of the magic I felt when I played Bloodborne.

27-Mar-19 12:17pm
#15
kevolones
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader

Everytime I see a new Days Gone trailer It majes me want to preorder it, but Tbh Im scared it will be kinda crapty. At least it looks like it has a good story and cinematics!
27-Mar-19 12:53pm
#16
tonymack21
GameTZ Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 3 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (2 minutes ago) Secret Santa

I did preorder days gone, I am pretty excited to play it, early impressions from people who have gotten to play are quite good, saying the extra time has really rounded the game out and its nice and polished, and there is a lot more going on than you think. im not out much on it, my brother and I will share the cost and i'll play it then he can play it and then i'll trade it.

ya I think the lore of bloodborne seems interesting, im really surprised they haven't done anything else with it, maybe they are waiting for ps5 because they know they need to really be able to blow the first away.

ya I ranted about final dungeons in the rpg thread a little bit ago, I dread final dungeons because its like you already know.

and yes Tokyo Xanadu!! make sure its the ps4 version though.

27-Mar-19 1:37pm
#17
TalonJedi87
Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews

I'm hoping Days Gone is good. I think it will be. I have some faith in the Sony Bend studio. I am not going to preorder it but will check it out post-launch for sure. I just hope it doesn't try to be a Last of Us clone.

And YES @Heavyd814life - Bloodborne is such a religious experience. Good analogy! It's my favorite cryptic story in the entirety of the Soulsborne games. Not only does it delve into religion, but extra terrestrial life as well and has some really messed up moments, especially if ya get all the items and go for that true ending.

And in terms of JRPG's, I've been playing Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition on my Switch lately and it's a really fun game. A bit too heavy on dialogue at times, but the combat is really fun and engaging. I never thought a hack and slash traditional JRPG would work this well, but Tales does it seamlessly. So far it's about an 8/10 for me.
27-Mar-19 1:43pm
#18
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is on the site NOW (12 seconds ago)

ToV was really dialog heavy throughout the game, its one thing I noticed pretty quickly. Every time you entered a new town you had a dialog filled cutscene followed by your team all splitting up then you had to find them each of them one by one and have a lengthy talk with each one before you could see another cut scene just to continue with the story. Felt like they did it to artificially extend the length of the game. It got to the point where I could skip all non story related cut scenes.
27-Mar-19 1:56pm
#19
kevolones
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader

dustin11 wrote:
ToV was really dialog heavy throughout the game, its one thing I noticed pretty quickly. Every time you entered a new town you had a dialog filled cutscene followed by your team all splitting up then you had to find them each of them one by one and have a lengthy talk with each one before you could see another cut scene just to continue with the story. Felt like they did it to artificially extend the length of the game. It got to the point where I could skip all non story related cut scenes.
Earlier Tales games had that splitting up thing but it was mostly optional to trigger the skits. I havent played Vesperia yet
27-Mar-19 2:02pm
#20
TalonJedi87
Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews

Ya, I'm at the point where I just wanna skip the little cutscenes at times to just get on with it. Like the story is okay and all, but I just want to get back to the action most of the time. It does feel like they're padding play time thru cutscenes. Howlongtobeat.com says the story is about 42 hours, but I'm guessing half of that is spent with dialogue scenes.
27-Mar-19 2:37pm
#21
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is on the site NOW (12 seconds ago)

Took me 72 hours but I did a bunch of side stuff too. By about the 2nd town I was done with all non-story related dialog and would just skip it because I caught on to all the padding they were adding to the game.

Post your scores/reviews on recent titles you've obtained/been playing. :-P