GameTZ

Sign OnNon-Mobile

Microsoft and Sony strike games streaming deal
17-May-19 8:29am
#1
MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review

Was hoping to see more about cross platforming but who knows, maybe it's a start towards it. So glad to see they went Azure over AWS though. MSFT is killing it with Azure.

https://www.bbc.co.u...
17-May-19 9:44am
#2
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

Microsoft is going to be hosting all console game streaming next gen as long as those XCloud on Switch rumors hold true. I agree that going with Azure over AWS was a very good move for Sony. AWS is straight up trash. I have to use it every day at work and its awful.
17-May-19 2:52pm
#3
MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review

I live in Azure and have only poked around at AWS. I'm also a MSFT fan Boi as my career surrounds sql server. So clearly I'm biased but this was a great move.
17-May-19 3:06pm
#4
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

All of our servers at work run through AWS and does all of our AutoCAD software and its complete trash. There are so many pauses and interruptions to our workflow and this is with a gigabit internet connection. I've used it at home on my 40mb/s speeds before and it was an absolute nightmare. Right now we're all pushing for a switch to Azure because of sever limitations with AWS when working offsite.
17-May-19 4:47pm
#5
Finn
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Canada

Looks like a big win for gamers.




17-May-19 5:10pm
#6
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

I think this will end up being a really big win for PlayStation users than Xbox gamers. You guys may be able to get off PSN's janky ass architecture and won't have to be tied down to having PSNow as your streaming platforming moving forward. Hopefully we'll have more console crossplay too. I have a lot of friends on PS4 and as of now there really isn't a way to play much of anything together but maybe in the future that won't be an issue any longer.
17-May-19 6:56pm
#7
Finn
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Canada

I don't really understand the negs, but oh well...

PSN will get a big boost for sure, back on the PS3 there were issues with speed and the store taking time to load or lag in the menu's. It was not nearly as smooth as the service offered by MS. The PS4 made great strides The architecture maybe janky but it seems to works very well, and now will just get better so I am stoked about that.

I think this defiantly opens the door to cross play though. Having the big 3 on the same network makes this even easier then it is now. Cross play is something we should have had YEARS ago or really it should have always been a thing, fragmentation is NEVER good but I suppose it's better late then never because we all know it's on its way now.


17-May-19 9:25pm
#8
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

Yeah, definitely a big win for Sony and Microsoft as well since they will be who carries the industry forward once cloud streaming takes over in 10-20 years. Supposedly there is more to be announced with this partnership in the near future, I think that maybe something at E3 could happen. Google is probably not too happy with this news though, I don't think that they want to compete against both MS and Sony games being on a far superior cloud infrastructure. Kind of takes the wind out of their sails (if their sails had any wind at all to begin with). Now we just need to get Nintendo on board with this since they're the ones who need the most help with their online infrastructure right now.
17-May-19 11:09pm
#9
whitefire
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

They'd be smart to work together. All of them, really. They're up against a lot of outside competition which threats their industry more than inside competition. Plus, then they get to keep price fixing. Lol.

18-May-19 1:07pm
#10
Frank
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 700 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (12) Has Written 11 Reviews

This is actually pretty neat. It ensure both of them have good streaming options!

I just hope this doesn't expedite the indefinite "All Digital Future"

18-May-19 1:16pm
#11
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

I take this as a sign that this is where the companies are looking to go in the future. MS said that they're not expecting it to be feasible for about 20 more years, so I expect at least 1 more console gen after this one but who knows what that will look like. I wouldn't be surprised to see streaming really start gaining traction at some point this gen though.
18-May-19 2:44pm
#12
MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review

Everything will eventually go to GaaS - "Gaming as a Service", just like all other technologies. Google is trying now, but it'll take years before it's properly baked. Physical media and systems will die off. Eventually, we'll all be using an HDMI/USB-C stick type device with a wireless controller, streaming all gaming on the fly for a monthly service fee.
18-May-19 2:49pm
#13
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

With other forms of media it was much easier to do because the needs aren't quite as demanding. Games though you need some place for everything to be processed then sent back which presents a ton more issues and also for better infrastructure to be in place before its feasible. We'll get there eventually, but hopefully not for a while because I'm not a big fan of digital gaming.
18-May-19 2:51pm
#14
Shawn
Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

MrBean wrote:
Everything will eventually go to GaaS - "Gaming as a Service", just like all other technologies. Google is trying now, but it'll take years before it's properly baked. Physical media and systems will die off. Eventually, we'll all be using an HDMI/USB-C stick type device with a wireless controller, streaming all gaming on the fly for a monthly service fee.
Yeah, I don't know. I think there will always be a market for physical.. I mean, physical sales will certainly continue to go down until it levels off, and there will be more games exclusively digital... but look at limited run games, their whole shtick is basically digital only games that people want physical copies of.

I will always prefer physical because I am thrifty (and that will not change with time), and I can sell a physical item. Now... if they ever allow you to sell your digital copies of games, it will change the narrative a bit for me...
18-May-19 2:58pm
#15
MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review

Agreed, I'll always prefer physical too ... still, the days are numbered. As cloud technologies continue to mature, as 5g becomes globally available, as more of the world has broadband speeds ... days of physical will slowly die.
18-May-19 3:00pm
#16
whitefire
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

dustin11 wrote:
I take this as a sign that this is where the companies are looking to go in the future. MS said that they're not expecting it to be feasible for about 20 more years, so I expect at least 1 more console gen after this one but who knows what that will look like. I wouldn't be surprised to see streaming really start gaining traction at some point this gen though.
Definitely. NO ONE has the infrastructure in place MS has. They're not perfect, but they can get a lot out of the other companies while they, and the companies couldn't even begin to attempt to get infrastructure MS has. They just don't have the history and capital.

18-May-19 4:15pm
#17
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

whitefire wrote:
dustin11 wrote:> I take this as a sign that this is where the companies are looking to go in the future.> MS said that they're not expecting it to be feasible for about 20 more years, so> I expect at least 1 more console gen after this one but who knows what that will> look like. I wouldn't be surprised to see streaming really start gaining traction> at some point this gen though. Definitely. NO ONE has the infrastructure in place MS has. They're not perfect, but they can get a lot out of the other companies while they, and the companies couldn't even begin to attempt to get infrastructure MS has. They just don't have the history and capital.
I saw that MS has over 100 date centers around the world and at least 2 on every region which makes them quite a bit bigger than Amazon. AWS is available in about 21 regions around the globe to where Azure is available in 54.
18-May-19 9:28pm
#18
Frank
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 700 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (12) Has Written 11 Reviews

Shawn wrote:
I will always prefer physical because I am thrifty (and that will not change with time), and I can sell a physical item. Now... if they ever allow you to sell your digital copies of games, it will change the narrative a bit for me...
This for sure, I'm the exact same way. I'll buy digital if it's dirt cheap, hence Steam!

18-May-19 9:55pm
#19
Reed
GameTZ Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

If you can't beat them, join them!
18-May-19 10:18pm
#20
Frank
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 700 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (12) Has Written 11 Reviews

I still like Microsoft and Nintendo's partnership more. I mean... Cuphead being ported to the Switch was kind of awesome.

19-May-19 12:45am
#21
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

Yeah I agree, MS with Nintendo i think is the better match because each company compliments the other so well.

Microsoft and Sony strike games streaming deal