GameTZ

Sign OnNon-Mobile

Scores/Reviews of movies you've seen recently.
5-May-04 2:16pm
#1
savior
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

This topic had many older posts which were moved here:

http://gametz.com/Ge...
























24-Nov-19 2:24pm
#2
whitefire
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

In retrospect, Disney+ may be worth it just for The Simpsons.

24-Nov-19 2:54pm
#3
Gypsy
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

whitefire wrote:
In retrospect, Disney+ may be worth it just for The Simpsons.
Did they fix the aspect ratio issue? I remember reading that it was cut off and it actually causes you to miss some of the visual jokes in the show.
24-Nov-19 2:56pm
#4
Gypsy
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

Oh and The Deuce is incredible. One of the best shows period. Highly recommend it. Unfortunately 4 seasons would have been better. Likely got cut off and lost some viewership due to James Franco's issues.
24-Nov-19 3:04pm
#5
whitefire
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

Gypsy wrote:
whitefire wrote:> In retrospect, Disney+ may be worth it just for The Simpsons.> > Did they fix the aspect ratio issue? I remember reading that it was cut off and it actually causes you to miss some of the visual jokes in the show.
I haven't noticed anything.

24-Nov-19 4:36pm
#6
DarkFact
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (9 minutes ago)

Gypsy wrote:
whitefire wrote:> In retrospect, Disney+ may be worth it just for The Simpsons.> > Did they fix the aspect ratio issue? I remember reading that it was cut off and it actually causes you to miss some of the visual jokes in the show.
Can't imagine it's fixed yet, but there's talk that they're working on it.

I'd imagine the instances where a background gag is ruined by the cropping is probably extremely infrequent, but I'm sure there's people ready to point at the 2-3 points where it mattered. I'd also imagine most Simpsons fans wouldn't have noticed either way, they're the type where that sort of stuff sails over their heads regardless.
24-Nov-19 6:04pm
#7
John
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) Secret Santa

DefaultGen wrote:
Bruce Almighty 2/10 - Bruce is the worst. An awful person in just about every way who immediately squanders his god powers or uses them to ruin other people's lives for his benefit.
Um, did you watch the rest of the movie? Of course he does that in the beginning. That's the whole point of the movie -- him learning that that is a bad idea.

smile

And we're supposed to feel bad his girlfriend caught him kissing a co-worker?? (For reasons that have nothing to do with the god powers!). His instant movie-redemption made me dislike him more. Oh my god, I hated this movie so much, the constant dick and fart jokes were only the least of it.
That's fine. You can hate it for lots of reasons. I just think it weird to dislike it because he "squanders his god powers" in the beginning. That's how this plot point works in ANY movie of this type. It'd be like complaining about The Grinch being a jerk if you only watched the first half. Without that, the rest of the movie -- the "redemption", if you will -- doesn't work.
24-Nov-19 6:36pm
#8
DefaultGen
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 5 Reviews

John wrote:
DefaultGen wrote:> Bruce Almighty 2/10 - Bruce is the worst. An awful person in just about every> way who immediately squanders his god powers or uses them to ruin other people's> lives for his benefit. Um, did you watch the rest of the movie? Of course he does that in the beginning. That's the whole point of the movie -- him learning that that is a bad idea. smile> And we're supposed to feel bad his girlfriend caught him kissing> a co-worker?? (For reasons that have nothing to do with the god powers!). His instant> movie-redemption made me dislike him more. Oh my god, I hated this movie so much,> the constant dick and fart jokes were only the least of it. That's fine. You can hate it for lots of reasons. I just think it weird to dislike it because he "squanders his god powers" in the beginning. That's how this plot point works in ANY movie of this type. It'd be like complaining about The Grinch being a jerk if you only watched the first half. Without that, the rest of the movie -- the "redemption", if you will -- doesn't work.
At the end of A Christmas Carol or The Grinch, I felt the same thing everyone else did, the big bad guy had a change of heart or perspective. At the end of this, I mostly felt that a loathsome character emotionally manipulated his doormat ex into taking him back because he got hit by a truck (right after spying through her bedroom window and showing up at her place of work like a maniac). The movie is also full of moments and music besides the turn at the end where I'm supposed to feel sympathy for Bruce and it's impossible to. You could put a laugh track to scenes where he's basically torturing people. He is not portrayed as a pure Grinch or Scrooge for this entire movie, I'm pretty sure you are supposed to be on his side while he tries to ruin Evan's career or busts people just doing their jobs by planting pot in their van, lol.

I get it's a favorite of a lot of people with a storybook ending and I'll never change anyone's mind on it, but I didn't like it at all.

24-Nov-19 7:42pm
#9
theJaw
Triple Gold Good Trader

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 7.5/10 - Finally saw this and really enjoyed it for what it was, but it was definitely sort of unbalanced and just a strange story to tell in general. Far too many words in spoiler tags.


I'm not sure the ending really warranted a nearly 2 1/2 hour run-time following fictional characters who were mostly unrelated to the historical events referenced throughout even if said ending was very satisfying, and even if I did really enjoy the bulk of the movie following said fictional characters. And I mean, the characters did intersect enough that it made sense if this were a strictly-fictional story, it just seemed like a very strange decision to give a fictional movie of this sort the historic backdrop that Tarantino did. But at times it did feel sort of like a toned-down Pulp Fiction which I thought was neat, even though the more obvious comparison would be to Inglorious Basterds given the "alternate history" aspect.

Top marks go to performances and comedy. While the dialogue didn't hit as well as previous Tarantino movies did, causing his trademark dialogue-driven segments to lack the luster of his other movies, the actors really injected life into the script and this is still easily Tarantino's most comical movie. I appreciated a more lighthearted tone compared to the usual. Some will see that as a reason to criticize the movie given its historical context, but I don't see too much wrong with it. It was a wholly fictional alternate take on true-life events and it's not much different than a biopic getting facts laughably wrong, but I understand how folks close to the situation would be apprehensive.

Actual spoilers follow:

Regarding the whole Bruce Lee thing: it was established that Cliff isn't "all there" in many ways and his disrespectful POV of Bruce Lee would make sense given that the scene took place within his head as a memory. Very likely he remembers that particular situation a lot different than the other characters would have. Though, again, I understand why Lee's real-life family would be less-than-thrilled about the segment. And heck, to play devil's advocate, this is an alternate history so maybe Tarantino did intend to portray Lee as sorta jerky in this reality for whatever reason. Who knows? It just wasn't nearly as awful as a lot of the internet made it out to be.

Regarding the ending: Like I alluded to up above, I fail to see the point in retelling this particular story with the Basterds-style alternate history ending other than to rub those who murdered Tate's noses in the dirt a bit more. Where Basterds seemed to have an overall point to make which tied into the theme of that movie, Hollywood didn't really take that route. Instead it seems like Tarantino really just wanted to crap on the Manson Family a bit while capitalizing on that era of Hollywood with a story about an aging actor. Regardless of my failure to see the point of the movie and its ending, the actual ending was still extremely satisfying. To see Cliff and Rick's maiming of the famous Tate-killers was really great and extremely comical with how over-the-top the movie took it. Hearing Cliff snicker as he can't remember Tex's infamous "devil's business" line and then landing on "devil crap" cracked me up. And Rick finally meeting Sharon in the closing seconds of the movie was actually pretty touching. If only.

But yah, like I said, it mostly just felt like a way to make Manson's followers look like idiots by being bested by the folks they felt had rejected them from society instead of murdering them due their own delusions. If it had really happened that way, it may have allowed the rest of their comrades to realize how petty they were acting out in that desert.


Anyhow, the movie felt like a love-letter to Sharon Tate in ways, and in other ways seemed like a character-study looking at the "classic actor" archetype made famous during Tate's era of film-making. Really good and really, really funny. Not sure I'll watch it as much as my Tarantino-favorites but I'll definitely revisit it at some point down the road.
25-Nov-19 9:57am
#10
John
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) Secret Santa

DefaultGen wrote:
At the end of A Christmas Carol or The Grinch, I felt the same thing everyone else did, the big bad guy had a change of heart or perspective. At the end of this, I mostly felt that a loathsome character emotionally manipulated his doormat ex into taking him back because he got hit by a truck (right after spying through her bedroom window and showing up at her place of work like a maniac).
Fair enough. yes
26-Nov-19 4:34am
#11
DrizzDrizzDrizz
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Croatia This user is on the site NOW (1 minute ago)

The Dead Dont Die - mixed feelings about this one, it's like it went back and forth between hilariously bad/amateurish (but done in an aware, professional way) and legit, not sure how to descibe it. Glad I watched though, and excellent cast

Spiderman Into the Spiderverse - I already had high expectations for this and it still managed to exceed them. Really fudging good. Clever, stylish, funny, entertaining, and with more depth at times than I expected

Always Sunny Season 14 - overall I'm extremely happy wih the season, can't believe they are still managing to be so good, and finding perfect balance between fresh/innovative and classic.
Some real standout episodes too, and the finale was incredible. Lot of self aware meta jokes this season but almost always done well without overdoing it
26-Nov-19 4:01pm
#12
DrizzDrizzDrizz
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Croatia This user is on the site NOW (1 minute ago)

Finally saw Joker. Strong 7-7.5 for me, enjoyed it
26-Nov-19 6:39pm
#13
Gypsy
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx

BABY'S FIRST MULTI-KILL/10

image
26-Nov-19 6:59pm
#14
Foxhack
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader

I have a chance to go see Knives Out a week earlier than the local release... on Thanksgiving day.

Not like I'll actually be doing anything that day - what with me being alone and stuff. Should I go watch it? It's at the $5 theater in Calexico, so I dunno...
26-Nov-19 9:42pm
#15
kevolones
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader

Gypsy wrote:
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx BABY'S FIRST MULTI-KILL/10 {imgt}https://66.media.tum... 365 151{imgt}
I watched a couple of those films a few years ago. Wasnt disappointed!
26-Nov-19 10:49pm
#16
theJaw
Triple Gold Good Trader

Foxhack wrote:
I have a chance to go see Knives Out a week earlier than the local release... on Thanksgiving day. Not like I'll actually be doing anything that day - what with me being alone and stuff. Should I go watch it? It's at the $5 theater in Calexico, so I dunno...
Dare you to. That movie looks awesome.
26-Nov-19 10:59pm
#17
Foxhack
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader

I've been waiting for the movie to come out for months. I love Daniel Craig when he's not playing James Bond (SEE LOGAN LUCKY!!!)

Hopefully the weather won't be as bad as the forecasts are saying and I can go see it.
26-Nov-19 11:23pm
#18
ENIX
500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 13 Reviews

I'm sure it will subvert all of your expectations.
26-Nov-19 11:26pm
#19
Gypsy
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

kevolones wrote:
Gypsy wrote:> Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx> > BABY'S FIRST MULTI-KILL/10> > {imgt}https://66.media.tum...> 365 151{imgt} I watched a couple of those films a few years ago. Wasnt disappointed!
Yep. I don't think I could watch them all in rapid succession but sometimes it's exactly what I want. Just absolutely crazy amounts of cheesy gore. These movies know exactly what they are.
27-Nov-19 7:18am
#20
theJaw
Triple Gold Good Trader

Pretty neat test footage for a Watchmen movie that would have released in 2003 starring ol Jorah Mormont from GOT as Night Owl.

https://youtube.com/...
27-Nov-19 7:42am
#21
theJaw
Triple Gold Good Trader

ENIX wrote:
I'm sure it will subvert all of your expectations.
Hopefully, just so all the folks whining about no original stories in Hollywood can keep whining when an original story pops up in Hollywood.

Scores/Reviews of movies you've seen recently.