GameTZ

Sign OnNon-Mobile

Scores/Reviews of movies you've seen recently.
5-May-04 2:16pm
#1
savior
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

This topic had many older posts which were moved here:

http://gametz.com/Ge...




















4-Oct-19 10:47pm
#2
Foxhack
GameTZ Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader

Seeing Joker tomorrow. Whee.

Also my local theater might be showing The Shining at the end of the month... and apparently The Dead Don't Die is getting a theatrical release here.
5-Oct-19 9:59am
#3
sinnie
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

Spider-Man Far From Home: 5/10... way too kooky. Felt really weird. MJ is weird and doesn't fit the profile. She always looks pissed off which makes her look incredibly ugly to me. She also looks like a 12yr old girl. I guess she's supposed to be 16. Just a weird casting job here. I guess I enjoyed it, but it seemed like they tried too hard with the jokes. Easily my least favorite Spider-man movie. Disappointed.

5-Oct-19 10:06am
#4
DarkFact
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews

I thought it was pretty good. I still would pay real money to go see an adult-ass Spider-Man movie. The characters this time around were well played, but after getting a taste in Spider-Verse, I need more.
5-Oct-19 11:31am
#5
Broccoli
Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Canada This user is on the site NOW (5 minutes ago)

I like Spider-Man in the Avengers movies more than I do in his Spider-Man movies..
5-Oct-19 11:41am
#6
sinnie
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

I just feel like they forced the love aspect and some of it was just too much comedy for a serious movie. Why in the hell

Did they take Spider-man's lead to fight the Elementals, when he's just a kid, had no interest and had never fought them. When Quentin "had experience" he just seemed like the sidekick. Of course it was all bullcrap anyway.


The ending was pretty good, if a bit funny.

5-Oct-19 4:42pm
#7
Scott
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review

sinnie wrote:
Spider-Man Far From Home: 5/10... way too kooky. Felt really weird. MJ is weird and doesn't fit the profile. She always looks pissed off which makes her look incredibly ugly to me. She also looks like a 12yr old girl. I guess she's supposed to be 16. Just a weird casting job here. I guess I enjoyed it, but it seemed like they tried too hard with the jokes. Easily my least favorite Spider-man movie. Disappointed.
Least favorite Spider-Man movie? Wow, that's definitely the first time I've seen that opinion. In fact, I don't think I've seen even a slightly negative review of it. Not saying you're wrong or anything of course, everybody can have their own opinions, I'm just really surprised.

5-Oct-19 5:40pm
#8
sinnie
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally

Scott wrote:
sinnie wrote:> Spider-Man Far From Home: 5/10... way too kooky. Felt really weird. MJ is weird and> doesn't fit the profile. She always looks pissed off which makes her look incredibly> ugly to me. She also looks like a 12yr old girl. I guess she's supposed to be 16.> Just a weird casting job here. I guess I enjoyed it, but it seemed like they tried> too hard with the jokes. Easily my least favorite Spider-man movie. Disappointed. Least favorite Spider-Man movie? Wow, that's definitely the first time I've seen that opinion. In fact, I don't think I've seen even a slightly negative review of it. Not saying you're wrong or anything of course, everybody can have their own opinions, I'm just really surprised.
Yeah, so am I.... lol. I enjoyed it, but I just didn't find MJ likable and other parts of it just bothered me too much.

5-Oct-19 5:48pm
#9
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader

Watching Community all the way through for the first time, and people really weren't kidding about Season 4. Not sure if anyone here followed this show while it was running, but it was created/written by Dan Harmon for Seasons 1-3 and then 5-6. He was fired after 3, so 4 was written by new showrunners. Say what you will about Harmon, dude is pretty out there, but he writes some great TV. Season 4 of Community was like a whole new show that was just riffing off what came before it, with characters acting against their normal personalities. It was like the new writers "got" the characters, but then leaned into pushing them all the way to a normal "sitcom" level which made it come off as a parody of their normal character archetypes. It was very strange to watch.

Just started 5 and it's already back to form compared to 4. That was a really weird experience. Having seen so much TV in my lifetime, seeing such a weird tonal shift in the middle of a series was kinda wild.
5-Oct-19 9:11pm
#10
Foxhack
GameTZ Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader

Just came back from watching Joker... this movie is going to be incredibly polarizing for many reasons. Luckily, there's nothing in there that could spark an incel revolution. This Joker is very much unlike any other version of the character in comics, film, or TV.

However. If you see this and think he has valid reasons to go around killing people, then you should probably see a psychiatrist.
5-Oct-19 11:53pm
#11
whitefire
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is on the site NOW (18 seconds ago)

Joker 8/10

I loved this! It was amazing. The 8 is for a slow first two acts and some overacting toward the end, but overall, it was incredible.

6-Oct-19 12:01am
#12
theyrhere
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews

31 - 3/10

I usually love Rob Zombie movies, no matter how panned. This really sucked, though. No setup, and everything was so utterly overdone and cliche. This really sucked, and I'm not happy I watched it.
6-Oct-19 12:04am
#13
theyrhere
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews

Also, last night I watched

Killing of a Sacred Deer - 7.5/10

This was a weird one. Can't necessarily recommend anyone watch it, but it is really well done. Unsettling is the only thing I can really say.
6-Oct-19 12:07am
#14
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader

theyrhere wrote:
Also, last night I watched Killing of a Sacred Deer - 7.5/10 This was a weird one. Can't necessarily recommend anyone watch it, but it is really well done. Unsettling is the only thing I can really say.
Cinematography and acting was great, but it took shortcuts for the sake of being as weird as it was. Wasn't huge into it.
6-Oct-19 12:10am
#15
theyrhere
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews

theJaw wrote:
theyrhere wrote:> Also, last night I watched > > Killing of a Sacred Deer - 7.5/10> > This was a weird one. Can't necessarily recommend anyone watch it, but it is really> well done. Unsettling is the only thing I can really say. Cinematography and acting was great, but it took shortcuts for the sake of being as weird as it was. Wasn't huge into it.
Usually that style of movie doesn't grip me. It did make leaps story wise, but I was enthralled throughout. Also, the biting scene...yikes.
6-Oct-19 10:03am
#16
Broccoli
Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Canada This user is on the site NOW (5 minutes ago)

theyrhere wrote:
31 - 3/10 I usually love Rob Zombie movies, no matter how panned. This really sucked, though. No setup, and everything was so utterly overdone and cliche. This really sucked, and I'm not happy I watched it.
Yeah, I used to like Rob Zombie movies to an extent. But as more time goes by, it just feels like a college dude making movies with his friends. He recasts all his same ppl over and over again in most of his movies. I thought 31 was better than the drag that was Lords of Salem. Halloween 1 I could get through, Halloween 2 was dreadful though.

Funny you mentioned a Rob Zombie movie, as last night I just watched his sequel to the Devils Rejects... called 3 From Hell. It's basically a few of the family somehow survive the ending of DR, and escape prison years later, and the story of what they do after that.
I liked Devils Rejects, but this sequel is unnecessary, pointless, and overall terrible. The acting is bad in a lot of spots. Sheri Moon's character Baby- who I liked in DR... is over the top annoying in this. They should have toned her down by 50% here. I liked that Rob Zombie embraces the "old school grind house/horror" vibe, but he hasn't had a good one in a long time. At least he's trying- albeit failing- to be different. Regretfully, I give this a 4.5/10.

RIP Sid Haig (Capt Spaulding) in real life though. He was not in this movie enough.
6-Oct-19 10:34am
#17
theyrhere
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews

Broccoli wrote:
theyrhere wrote:> 31 - 3/10> > I usually love Rob Zombie movies, no matter how panned. This really sucked, though.> No setup, and everything was so utterly overdone and cliche. This really sucked,> and I'm not happy I watched it. Yeah, I used to like Rob Zombie movies to an extent. But as more time goes by, it just feels like a college dude making movies with his friends. He recasts all his same ppl over and over again in most of his movies. I thought 31 was better than the drag that was Lords of Salem. Halloween 1 I could get through, Halloween 2 was dreadful though. Funny you mentioned a Rob Zombie movie, as last night I just watched his sequel to the Devils Rejects... called 3 From Hell. It's basically a few of the family somehow survive the ending of DR, and escape prison years later, and the story of what they do after that. I liked Devils Rejects, but this sequel is unnecessary, pointless, and overall terrible. The acting is bad in a lot of spots. Sheri Moon's character Baby- who I liked in DR... is over the top annoying in this. They should have toned her down by 50% here. I liked that Rob Zombie embraces the "old school grind house/horror" vibe, but he hasn't had a good one in a long time. At least he's trying- albeit failing- to be different. Regretfully, I give this a 4.5/10. RIP Sid Haig (Capt Spaulding) in real life though. He was not in this movie enough.
I just realized I said "this really sucked" twice in a four sentence review lol. Guess that emphasizes the fact.

Man, what a bummer. I saw Devil's Rejects when I was maybe like 13, and that movie made a BIG impact on my tastes. I was hoping 3 From Hell would be at least decent, but now I don't know if I wanna sour the memories I have with DR by watching it.
6-Oct-19 10:50am
#18
whitefire
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is on the site NOW (18 seconds ago)

The worst thing about Joker is that even though it's the best comic book film DC has put out since the Dark Knight Trilogy, there are (supposedly) no plans to build something off of it. There is so much they could do with an R-rated film series. They can separate it from that (mostly) garbage DCEU series and have something unique. So far, Deadpool is the only decent series, and it's very different. I'd love to see gritty, realistic characters go up against each other with no supernatural elements. The only thing WB needs to do is manage the budgets. Use mostly B+ and A- stars (or older big stars in smaller roles, like RD in this one) and keep that dog under $100mil, and they'll be very successful. Also, keep any effects practical.

6-Oct-19 11:04am
#19
Best1989
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Peru

sinnie wrote:
Spider-Man Far From Home: 5/10... way too kooky. Felt really weird. MJ is weird and doesn't fit the profile. She always looks pissed off which makes her look incredibly ugly to me. She also looks like a 12yr old girl. I guess she's supposed to be 16. Just a weird casting job here. I guess I enjoyed it, but it seemed like they tried too hard with the jokes. Easily my least favorite Spider-man movie. Disappointed.
Nice to see I'm not the only one that can't stand this version of MJ lol
6-Oct-19 11:08am
#20
whitefire
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is on the site NOW (18 seconds ago)

Foxhack wrote:
Just came back from watching Joker... this movie is going to be incredibly polarizing for many reasons. Luckily, there's nothing in there that could spark an incel revolution. This Joker is very much unlike any other version of the character in comics, film, or TV. However. If you see this and think he has valid reasons to go around killing people, then you should probably see a psychiatrist.
I forgot to reply to this.

I found it really interested how different reactions were to this film. My wife thought it was disgusting. My buddy loved it and felt sympathy for and identified with Joker. I loved it as well but did not identify with him and felt it was more of a character study and simply saying this is how he got this way not that we should feel bad for him, or that his actions are justified. That aspect is very interesting to me.



One excellent example is the moment where he shoots the wall street guys. A lot of people in the theater thought they had what's coming to them, but I didn't. Getting your ass beat is a reason to point a gun, not to pull the trigger, and then he even goes after the guy who's trying to run away from him. It was so gritty and realistic though. The typical Joker (Ledger's, Nicholson's and certainly Leto's) would have beaten their assess. Whether because it's origin or just different, I liked it.



6-Oct-19 2:49pm
#21
Foxhack
GameTZ Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader

Responding to @whitefire 's spoilered comment:


One thing most people miss is that Arthur's laugh happens when he feels sad or nervous. So when those three butt-holes are bothering that woman, he laughs, because he's both scared and feeling helpless at not being able to do anything... and when he realizes he's calling attention to himself because of the laugh, he laughs even more, making things worse.

He TRIES to deescalate things and he gets beat up over it.

He doesn't shoot them in anger; he does it out of desperation, in self-defense... at first. Then I think he gave in to the anger that's inside him and gave kill shots to the first two guys. When that third guy runs away, he's still desperate because he knows he's fudgeed things up and he has no choice but to kill the guy or else he's going to jail and then, who's going to take care of his mother?

That's another thing that a lot of people don't think of: His mother. Arthur really loves his mother. He knows he has ugly thoughts and he feels like he should give in, but he doesn't, because then who's going to take care of her? She was noticeably mentally ill, with her obsession about Thomas Wayne (it's something I've seen in people with dementia - hyperfixation on a painful subject from the past) - and when the cops visited Arthur's house and asked her questions, which led to her stroke, that's what finally set off the chain of events that caused his complete mental breakdown (that was made worse by the lack of medication.)

And then he finds out about his past, and the truth about Thomas Wayne and his mother. He realizes his relationship was completely imaginary. And there, THAT is the moment you finally see him lose everything that held him together. When he goes to the hospital to confront his mother... that's when he truly became irredeemable.

You also see a noticeable shift in how he behaves. He doesn't seem to laugh as much as before, as if he no longer reacts like a normal person would - specific emotions would trigger his laugh, and it doesn't happen anymore, which implies he no longer feels fear or even those other emotions.

Edit: A quick google suggests Arthur was suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder: https://www.heretohe... - I don't remember if this is mentioned in the film or not.



There's a LOT you can unpack from this movie if you pay attention to Phoenix or if you've had experience with people who've suffered from mental illness. The movie is not for everyone.

I think most people won't acknowledge or notice most of this.

Scores/Reviews of movies you've seen recently.